A building makes its first impression through its facade. Equally significant are the walls inside it, for there is nothing more mundane than a plain drab wall.
Paneling is a simple yet effective way of adding character to a room. They come in different materials, textures and colors, each conveying an idea of their own.
Advantages of Wall Paneling
- Protects the wall surface.
- Insulates from heat
- Improves acoustics
- Supports utilities
- Covers cracks and stains
- Hides unsightly wires or pipes.
- Adds to the aesthetics
Types of Wall Panels
Based on the material used, wall panels can be classified as-
- Wood panels
- Stone panels
- PVC panels
- WPC panel
- Fabric Panels
- Upholstered panels
- MDF Panels
- Glass panels
- Mirror panels
- Shiplap wood panels
- Tile Board wall panels
- Metal panels
1. Wood Panels
Natural wood panels make the room luxurious. They also absorb sound and help with acoustics.
- Depending on the wood and how they are placed, they can give a rustic and or elegant feel.
2. Stone panels
They are elegant materials that can be used both indoors and outdoors due to their durability. They are also great thermal insulators.
- They are easy to maintain, durable and look rich.
Polyvinyl chloride panels are made of synthetic plastic polymer. They have the appearance and feel of plastic and are lightweight, moisture resistant, strong and affordable.
- They are most commonly used in kitchens and bathrooms.
4. WPC panels
Wood plastic composite panels are made of wood fibers and plastic. Although they look similar to wood, they are eco friendly as they are made of recycled wood fibers.
- They are strong, durable, water resistant and can be used for kitchens and bathrooms.
5. Fabric panels
They are used in places with high noise levels. Their function is to prevent echo, avoid noise from exiting the room and improve sound quality.
- They are put to use in schools, auditoriums, cinema halls etc.
6. Upholstered Panel
These panels can be used to give the room a soft and luxurious look. This material absorbs sound, proving to be good for acoustics.
- Variation can be brought in textures and colors.
- They can be made of velvet, jacquard, silk, leatherette etc.
7. MDF panels
Mild density fiber boards are cost effective wall panels. They can also be made to mimic natural wood panels.
- Their surface is suitable for painting and other decorative carvings.
8. Glass panels
Glass panels gives the room a light feel. It is usually used to give a small room the illusion of being bigger.
9. Mirror panels
Their reflective property is used to give the illusion of a larger volume.
- They are used in small rooms and corridors.
10. Shiplap wood panels
This panel is a cost effective paneling made of pine, oak or cedar. It is manually installed and has the quality of beautiful handwork.
- It can be used for both outdoors and indoors in garages, rooms and kitchen.
11. Tile board wall panels
They are made of a layer of melamine over MDF. The texture and grooves make it mimic ceramic tiles.
- It is a very cost effective way to cover large spaces in unimportant rooms.
12. Metal wall panels
These panels are fire and water resistant. They are also durable and offer good protection for the walls.
- They are lightweight and easy to install in any room.
By choosing the right type of paneling, one can easily set the tone of the room and improve its aesthetics.
Read 4 Types of Facade Systems for Your Building Design