The Line, Saudi Arabia – Design Features and Aim
Imagine a utopian world with a heightened living experience, but not at the cost of the surrounding nature. Civilization has completely integrated with Artificial Intelligence technology and our lives progress in a second’s time, while the world’s greatest treasure, nature, is right at our doorstep.
Sounds like it has been taken right off a sci-fi novel, doesn’t it?
Well no, this will soon become reality. At the heart of the trade routes and the country with the fastest growth, is a revolution in urban development.
The Line is a step towards reimagining civilisation and shaping a novel future. A project conceived for the futuristic city of Neom, Saudi Arabia, The Line will bring together sustainability and technology in never before seen ways.
The Line’s Aims
- Close-knit Community
- Perfect Climate
- Run on 100% renewable energy
- 95% of the land is untouched and is preserved for nature
- Reduce carbon emissions to net-zero and provide clean air
- Natural ventilation
- Elimination of motorised vehicles such as cars and buses.
- The planning focuses on reducing the travel time between the people and the commodities.
- Automated services along with Artificial Intelligence, make end-to-end travel possible in 20 mins.
- Bringing the community closer, it will now be easier to spontaneously meet your family and friends.
- Microclimate strategies have been implemented to provide a comfortable climate throughout the year.
- The optimal balance of sunlight, shading, and natural ventilation, ensures that the space is never too hot nor too cold.
- Luscious greenery and open spaces add comfort to the users.
The Line’s Design Features
The Line is best described as a “one building city”, and it is precisely that. Residences, commodities, and commercial spaces fit into a singular, linear space with a footprint of just 34 square kilometers.
It makes one ponder how it will be architecturally possible to arrange these spaces, with ample circulation, and greenery without causing chaos.
- The Line has an external reflective glass facade that makes the building seamlessly blend with the surrounding nature.
- There is an impeccable merging of greenery with futuristic neighbourhoods.
- The building is segmented into linear neighbourhoods, which have housing, shops, offices, and recreational spaces.
- The various spaces are arranged using a modular system.
- The circulatory systems are done through bridges, tunnels, and corridors. The different spaces are accessible within 5 mins travel time.
- The spaces are 3-D projected from the walls of the building and arranged in skewed positions to add interest.
Recreation and Nature
- There are designated spaces in each neighbourhood for open recreation.
- These function as gathering areas for the residents.
- The recreation spaces are housing for the greenery of The Line.
- The Line also has central atriums with greenery, that serve as radial circulation spaces.
The Line is also characterized by its pristine location. Being at the center of the world’s trade routes, The Line is strategically placed to facilitate trade and commerce.
This article is just an analysis of The Line based on the promotional advertisements and publications released thus far. However, they accomplish the task of intriguing us.
The information may be limited, and the concept images are all a digital representation of the actual building, but it wouldn’t be right on our part if we didn’t say that they all depict an entrancing and visionary future for all mankind.